December Ordiversary Party!

RevGalBlogPals | 12/6/2018 | Staff
Goobee (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://revgalblogpals.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/d1d05f6c-d23e-45b4-b0b5-c9085ff80437.jpeg

The big day!

Happy ordiversary, December friends! This month we have long time RevGal Amy Peden Haynie kicking off the party. Many of us remember Amy’s ordination, and some RevGals even travelled from around the country to attend and celebrate with her, after years of reading her blog that included “elastigirl” in the title. Let’s celebrate with Amy and all our December ordiversaries!

December - Date - Priesthood - Episcopal - Church

December 10, 2011 is the date I was ordained to the priesthood in the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Fort Worth, Texas. That sentence has a couple of extraordinary statements hidden in it. During my six-year seminary experience, I had been released from another diocese that did not discern that I had a call to the priesthood. By my count, I was the seventh woman that diocese had turned away. The Diocese of Fort Worth was one of a very few that had not ordained women for the priesthood until after a big schism that still roils today.

My first position within the diocese was a combined parish/diocesan staff position. I was the associate rector at a program-size Episcopal Church, and the diocesan InreachCoordinator. We made up the Inreach Coordinator title. None of us could figure out what else to call the person tasked with making a plan to put the diocese back together. There were countless meetings over coffee or a meal, with people who had been severely wounded by decades of church politics. In a relatively recently formed diocesewhere every bishop had denounced and left the Episcopal church in one way or another, I likened it to the children of abusive divorce after abusive divorce learning to sit around the dinner table and have hard conversations while committing to stay in healthy relationships with each other. It was tough and rewarding, and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: RevGalBlogPals
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: