Emily Blunt reveals that Dick Van Dyke's cameo in Mary Poppins Returns was 'utterly moving'

Mail Online | 12/6/2018 | Roxy Simons For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/12/06/10/7078054-0-image-a-6_1544091756066.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/03/05/8292140037064932348/1024x576_MP4_8292140037064932348.mp4

Emily Blunt revealed it was 'an utterly moving day' when Dick Van Dyke returned to the world of Mary Poppins, after first appearing in the Disney classic in 1964.

The actress, 35, was blown away by the veteran actor, 92, who takes on the role of Mr Dawes Jr, after playing Bert and Mr Dawes Sr in the original.

Radio - Times - Thursday - Actor - Cameo

Speaking to the Radio Times on Thursday, she said of the actor's cameo: 'Rob Marshall (the film's director) is not really a crier, but he couldn’t even speak, couldn’t even say cut after Dick’s monologue.

'It was so beautiful. The guy is 92 and he got up on a desk and he tap-danced! Lin [Manuel Miranda, who plays lamplighter Jack] and I were supposed to be there to offer him help, but he was batting away our hands. What an icon.'

Movie - Place - Years - London - Mary

The movie takes place 25 years after the original and is set in 1930s London, as it follows Mary Poppins (played by Blunt) as she returns to the Banks siblings, Jane (Emily Mortimer) and Michael (Ben Whishaw), following a family tragedy.

It wasn't just Dick Van Dyke's return to the franchise that had the director feeling emotional, as Rob admitted that 'choosing Emily for Mary Poppins was the fastest decision of all.'

Pair - Into - Woods - Casting - Film

The pair had previously worked together on Into The Woods, and, of her casting, he explained: 'To me there was no film without her.

'It’s the cornerstone, and the demands are huge: you have to find someone who...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!