Loving Kids in a Pumpkin Pie Culture

ChurchLeaders | 12/6/2018 | Staff
Cayley1561 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/12.6.CHILDREN.CC.PumpkinPie.jpg

“Mel, we don’t want to become like pumpkin pie to you.”

“What?”

Months - Twin - Girl - Neighbors - Concern

A few months ago one of my sweet little 10-year-old twin girl neighbors looked up at me with concern in her eyes. “You know how pumpkin pie is SO good so you eat a lot of it and then you’re sick of it for a really long time?”

“Okayyyy”

Twin - Sick - Time

The other twin chimed in, “Yeah we don’t want you to get sick of us. We’re over here all the time and we don’t want you to get sick of seeing us.”

The other twin chimed in again, “Yeah, like pumpkin pie.”

Theneighbs - Sick - Pumpkin - Pie

I laughed and quickly assured them, “You guys are #theneighbs, I couldn’t possibly get sick of you. Really, I love having you over. Pumpkin pie? Where did you come up with that?”

“It just came to me!”

Giggles

The three of us dissolved into giggles.

Long after they walked the 20 steps back to their house the conversation was still running through my head. We had laughed long and hard about the pumpkin pie analogy but I was bothered by the message behind it. I hate that my little neighbors would think I could get sick of them.

Twitter - Instagram - Theneighbs - Bestie - Besties

If you follow me at all on twitter or Instagram you’ll often see #theneighbs. I’m their bestie, and to be honest, they’re my besties too. I moved in next door to them about 15 months ago and what a joy it has been to get to know and love them and their family. I love that God planted me near them. I’m on the road a lot, but when I’m home you can bet the neighbs will be over. Yes, they are over a lot but no, I don’t get sick of them.

Subscribe to ChurchLeaders!

Throw - Culture

In this throw away culture that we live in I wonder if we ever stop to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Would you let a person who could only get a government job run your life? Well don't!
Tagged: