Pop Culture Imports: ‘My Brilliant Friend,’ ‘Hero,’ Alfonso Cuaron’s Directorial Debut, And More

/Film | 11/29/2018 | Hoai-Tran Bui
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/my-brilliant-friend-hero-solo-con-tu-pareja.jpg

As we near the end of the year, everyone is scrambling to catch all the movies and TV shows that they missed. But when making your way through year-end lists starts to feel like a chore, why not catch yourself up on their subtitled compatriots, both new and classic?

This week we have the buzzy HBO adaptation of Elena Ferrante’s beloved Neopolitan novels, My Brilliant Friend; Zhang Yimou‘s masterpiece of visual cinema Hero; Alfonso Cuaron‘s directorial debut to get you hyped for his upcoming magnum opus Roma; An Education‘s Lone Scherfig‘s Danish breakout Italian for Beginners; and a juicy Thai revenge thriller series from Netflix.

Fire - Subtitles - Count - Movies - TV

Fire up those subtitles, and let’s get count down the best foreign movies and TV streaming now.

Cast: Margherita Mazzucco, Elisa del Genio, Gaia Girace, Ludovica Nasti.

Elena - Ferrante - Brilliant - Friend - Series

When Elena Ferrante published “My Brilliant Friend,” the first in her four-part series of novels chronicling the intense and fraught friendship of two girls growing up in post-World War II Naples, in 2012, it became a worldwide literary phenomenon, attracting the kind of fan fervor usually reserved for the likes of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series. So HBO had a big job on its hands in adapting the sprawling series into an eight-episode miniseries. But it seems that Ferrante fans have nothing to fear. My Brilliant Friend is a lush portrayal of a decades-spanning friendship between two wildly different, yet fiercely loyal girls coming of age in 1950s Naples. Both highly intelligent, the reserved Elena (Elisa Del Genio as a young girl, and Margherita Mazzucco as a teenager) and the unruly Raffaella (Ludovica Nasti and Gaia Girace, respectively) struggle to break out of the cycle of poverty in their oppressive and violent neighborhood — one run by crime bosses and housewives’ gossip (and also murder). It’s a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!