‘Mrs. Doubtfire’ at 25: Inside the Making of the Robin Williams Classic

Variety | 11/24/1993 | Susan King
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/rexfeatures_1570741a-e1542843377615.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

When Lisa Jakub showed up to audition as the oldest daughter of Robin Williams and Sally Field in “Mrs. Doubtfire,” she was introduced to a matronly Scottish woman. Jakub thought she was talking to the mother of director Chris Columbus, who was in production on the movie that turned out to be an enduring classic comedy after opening Nov. 24, 1993.

“I remember being introduced to Chris Columbus’ mother and thinking I had to really make small talk and be charming because this was my boss’ mom,” said Jakub, who was 14 when she made the film. “I wanted to make a good impression. It wasn’t until later that I realized [it was Williams]. I totally fell for it.”

Matthew - Lawrence - Something - Kid - Minutes

It didn’t take that long for Matthew Lawrence, then 12, to realize that something was going on. “I started to catch on because I was a working kid. But definitely for two or three minutes I was sitting next to Mrs. Doubtfire and I had no idea [it was Williams]. I think they didn’t tell me that the cameras were rolling, and they just had us sit down. I think they just wanted to get our natural kids’ reactions.”

Everyone in the room started laughing. “That was the moment that got me the role,” he noted “The fact that I reacted that way to Mrs. Doubtfire was what they were looking for and Robin knew that.”

Randi - Mayem - Singer - Leslie - Dixon

Adapted by Randi Mayem Singer and Leslie Dixon from Anne Fine’s YA novel “Alias Madame Doubtfire,” the comedy-drama revolves around Daniel Hillard (Williams) a freelance voice actor in San Francisco and ultimate man-child who loves his three children, Lydia, Chris and Natalie (Mara Wilson) but his wife Miranda (Field) finds that he’s too unreliable and they divorce.

When Daniel learns Miranda is looking for a housekeeper, he disguises himself —...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sorry Mr. Franklin, we couldn't keep it.