Dick Van Dyke Reveals He Paid Walt Disney $4,000 to Play Banker in 'Mary Poppins'

The Hollywood Reporter | 11/21/2018 | Lexy Perez
Click For Photo: https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/2018/11/98acef8a-cbbf-43b6-ac51-3444ca7844f5.png

"I had to pay him to do the part ... and I'd do it again," the 92-year-old actor said of his fight to play a second role in the 1964 film, during a sit-down interview with Lin-Manuel Miranda for 'Mary Poppins Returns: Behind the Magic — A Special Edition of 20/20,' set to air Thursday.

Disney may be preparing to release a sequel to the 1964 film Mary Poppins for the big screen on Dec. 19 with Mary Poppins Returns, but original star Dick Van Dyke revealed that he had to persuade Walt Disney to land a second role in the original.

Thursday - Holiday - Broadcast - ABC - Mary

During Thursday’s holiday broadcast of ABC's Mary Poppins Returns: Behind the Magic – A Special Edition of 20/20, which gives viewers an inside look at Mary Poppins Returns, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Van Dyke sit down for a one-on-one discussion where they confer about Van Dyke’s role in the original and his excitement to share the magic of the beloved classic to a newer generation. It was during this discussion where the 92-year-old shared his secret fight to take on another role in the 1964 film.

In the original film, Van Dyke is recognized for playing the chimney sweeper Bert, but the actor revealed that he had to financially persuade Disney to allow him to portray the film's banker, Mr. Dawes Sr., as well. "I said, 'I’ll do it for nothing.' Actually, I had to give him $4,000 dollars. I had to pay him to do the part," the actor explained of his persuasion to Disney, also explaining that Disney wouldn’t give him the part of the banker despite Van Dyke asking for it.

Miranda - Van - Dyke - Disney - Banker

After Miranda further pressed on whether Van Dyke ultimately paid Disney to play the banker, Van Dyke quipped, "And I’d do it again." To this day,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Hollywood Reporter
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.