I’m Thankful for Francis Schaeffer

internetmonk.com | 11/17/2018 | Chaplain Mike

Note from CM: It is Thanksgiving week in the U.S., and I’d like to take each day leading up to the holiday to share a few of the blessings I’m thankful for. I’ve decided this year to focus on some people and things that have had an impact on me personally, so you may find my list a bit quirky. Nevertheless we each have unique factors that have shaped us and made us who we are. You’ll meet a few of mine this week.

A quiet disposition and a heart giving thanks at any given moment is the real test of the extent to which we love God at that moment.

Thanks - Today - Francis - Schaeffer

I give thanks today for Francis Schaeffer.

As I was pondering this today, I came to the conclusion that he might have been my first guide out out of the evangelical wilderness. Funny thing is, I came to know him through his writings when I was first entering evangelicalism, before I had any clue I might one day leave.

Schaeffer - Wife - Edith - L'Abri - Fellowship

Schaeffer and his wife Edith founded L’Abri Fellowship in Switzerland in 1955 in their home as a “shelter” (the meaning of l’abri) where young people could come, ask questions, and learn about the Christian faith. The L’Abri Fellowship website lists four main emphases of the ministry that developed there and spread to other branches around the world:

(1) Christianity is objectively true and that the Bible is God’s written word to mankind. This means that biblical Christianity can be rationally defended and honest questions are welcome.

Christianity - Life - Material - L'Abri - Perspective

(2) Because Christianity is true it speaks to all of life and not to some narrowly religious sphere and much of the material produced by L’Abri has been aimed at helping develop a Christian perspective on the arts, politics and the social sciences etc.

(3) In the area of our relationship...
(Excerpt) Read more at: internetmonk.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: