Rethinking the Divorce Issue: Let’s Start Believing the Scriptures

ChurchLeaders | 11/16/2018 | Staff
jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/11.17.HOME_.CC.DivorceIssue.jpg

“And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God” (I Corinthians 6:11).

Most SBC churches I know have in their bylaws a statement that divorce disqualifies a church member from being considered as a pastor or a deacon. I’m suggesting we need to start believing God’s word and quit making divorce the unpardonable sin.

Point - Verses - Brothers - Sisters - Christ

The point is: Since these verses are not clear, faithful brothers and sisters in Christ interpret them in various ways.

So, why then do our churches so consistently insist that I Timothy 3:12 prohibits a divorced person from becoming a deacon?

Answer - Matthew - Wife - Immorality - Marries

I suggest the answer is found in Matthew 19:9. “And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.” This clearly states that unless a person has “grounds” for divorce, a remarriage is adultery.

Divorce continues to divide the church today. Many a man or woman who has seen their marriage break up has had to learn first hand how poorly our congregations deal with this issue.

Man - Wife - Years - Prison - Church

A man told me, “Had I murdered my wife, I’d have served maybe 20 years in prison, then got out and joined the church and could have become a deacon. But all I did was divorce her.” He was calling the church out for its hypocrisy, that divorce is a harsher crime to many...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!