Republican senator suggests it's a good idea to 'make it more difficult for liberal folks' to vote

Mail Online | 11/15/2018 | Leah Mcdonald For Dailymail.com;Associated Press
sally140353 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/11/16/06/6260330-0-image-a-18_1542349393889.jpg

Footage has emerged of a Republican US Senator from Mississippi implying that it is a good idea to make it harder for 'liberal folks' to vote as she spoke to supporters.

Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith, who is in a runoff against Democrat Mike Espy on November 27, made the remark at a campaign stop in Starkville, Mississippi earlier this month.

Clip - Media - Thursday - Days - Video

A brief clip appeared on social media Thursday, days after another video showed Hyde-Smith praising someone at a different event by saying: 'If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row.'

In the latest video, she is heard saying : ‘And then they remind me that there's a lot of liberal folks in those other schools who maybe we don't want to vote,' Hyde-Smith is heard saying.

Idea

‘Maybe we want to make it just a little more difficult. And I think that's a great idea’.

Both videos were posted on Facebook and Twitter by Lamar White Jr, publisher of The Bayou Brief, a liberal-leaning Louisiana news site. He said he received them from a trusted source, and that neither video was edited to change Hyde-Smith's words.

Melissa - Scallan - Spokeswoman - Hyde-Smith - Campaign

Melissa Scallan, a spokeswoman for Hyde-Smith's campaign, said in a statement shortly after the video was posted that the senator 'obviously' was 'making a joke and clearly the video was selectively edited'.

Mike Espy is seeking to become Mississippi's first African-American US senator since Reconstruction.

Hyde-Smith - President - Donald - Trump - Woman

Hyde-Smith, endorsed by President Donald Trump, is the first woman to represent Mississippi in either chamber of Congress.

She has served since April after Mississippi's governor appointed her to temporarily succeed longtime Republican Senator Cochran, who retired.

Danny - Blanton - Spokesman - Espy - Campaign

Danny Blanton, a spokesman for Espy's campaign, called Hyde-Smith a 'walking stereotype who embarrasses our state'.

'For a state like Mississippi, where voting rights were obtained through sweat and blood, everyone should appreciate that this...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: