UPDATE: AP calls Senate race for Democrat Krysten Sinema, McSally tweets concession

AZFamily | 11/12/2018 | Staff
morica (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/azfamily.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/0b/90bf533c-e20d-11e8-9b3d-fb818f2b4b36/5be20c2057c61.image.jpg?resize=900%2C450

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -- Democrat Kyrsten Sinema will be the first woman to represent Arizona in the U.S. Senate, according to The Associated Press.

The split between Sinema and Republican Martha McSally continued to increase Monday – Sinema now leads by just over 38,000 – as counties continue to verify and tabulate their mail-in ballots.

Voting - Part - Democracy - Sinema - Acceptance

"Voting is a fundamental part of our democracy," Senator-elect Sinema said during her acceptance speech. "Our country is at its best when everyone is engaged and everyone's voice is heard. And that work isn't over."

Although McSally was ahead when Election Day drew to a close last week, mail-in ballots, mostly from Maricopa County, gave Sinema the lead on Thursday -- a lead that increases bit by bit as the counting continues.

Candidates - Percent - Race - Moments - Pm

With the candidates separate by a little more than 1.7 percent, the race was considered too close to call -- until moments before 5:45 p.m. Monday.

That's when the AP made its determination on one the most closely watched races in the entire country.

Congratulations - Time

McSally tweeted her congratulations a short time later.

"I wish her success. I’m grateful to all those who supported me in this journey," the tweet reads. "I’m inspired by Arizonans’ spirit and our state’s best days are ahead of us."

Senate - Reason - Arizona - Country - Sinema

"We both ran for the Senate for the same reason -- because we want what's best for Arizona and for our country," Sinema said during her victory speech.

Not only is Sinema the first woman to represent Arizona in the Senate, she's the first Democrat elected to the Senate since Dennis DeConcici was elected in 1977. He served in the seat Sinema will be filling until 1995.

Difference - Ground - Sinema - Fear - Party

"We can embrace difference while seeking common ground," Sinema said, denouncing what she described as "fear and party politics."

"Arizona rejected what has become far too common in our country --...
(Excerpt) Read more at: AZFamily
Wake Up To Breaking News!