Thomas Rusert: 'Meant to be' -- playing our part in providence

www.faithandleadership.com | 11/13/2018 | Staff
shankay (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.faithandleadership.com/sites/default/files/field/image/HarlemSt-Torresigner-m.png

My wife and I aren’t sure we were “meant to be.” As she often reminds me, I was not her “type.” And neither of us looks upon the other as “the one.” Although we are happily married -- and plan to be until “death do us part” -- we don’t harbor any illusions that we could never have found happiness with anyone else.

For us, this is merely a healthy recognition of reality. It doesn’t make us doubt our marriage, but it does make us laugh.

God - Hand - Things - Pastor - Question

Even so, I wonder, doesn’t God have a hand in making things happen? As a pastor, I am often confronted with this question. It happens almost every week when I sit down in a coffee shop with my sign that says “Free Prayer.” Prompted by the sign, a series of strangers will sit down with me, and we’ll talk and pray together. Inevitably, at least one or more will profess that our meeting was “meant to be.”

I’m beginning to think they’re right.

Part - Pastors - People - Places - Prayer

In part, pastors are called to show up for people in those “meant to be” places. Not too long ago, as I sat with my prayer sign at a local Starbucks, I watched a woman walk out of the store and a minute later come back in. Usually, when people do that, they’re retrieving a coat or some other object they have left.

In this case, though, the woman returned because she sensed that God had left something -- for her. She walked directly to me as though we were old acquaintances, sat down and began to tell me why she had come back in.

Weeks - Mother - Pet - Week - Car

A few weeks earlier, she said, her mother had died. Then a beloved pet. A week later, she totaled her car when she had a collision with a horse-size deer. She was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.faithandleadership.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sorry Mr. Franklin, we couldn't keep it.