Artist Laurent Durieux Breaks Down Every Poster in His New Mondo Show

/Film | 11/9/2018 | Jacob Hall
EGFZE (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/Laurent-Durieux.jpg

Laurent Durieux belongs on the short list of the best pop culture artists working today. His classical style, his subtle wit, and his attention to detail lead to posters that are often astonishing to behold.

Austin’s Mondo Gallery is playing host to Durieux’s latest gallery show, titled “The Art of Laurent Durieux Part Two”, which opens today and runs through November 17. We got in touch with Durieux and he supplied us with the inspirations behind and origins of every print on display and for sale at the show, including posters for Planet of the Apes, Ghostbusters, Apocalypse Now, The Shining, and more.

Commission - Milan - Records - France - Merry

“It was first a commission from Milan Records France, whom I had worked with before for Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and Oldboy soundtracks LP artworks. It’s also one of the first, if not the first movie I watched in a theater as a kid and it left a great impression on me. I was scared that when I had to re-watch it to do the poster, the movie would have aged badly, but it really didn’t. It was just as awesome for a 48 year old guy as it was for an 11 year old boy.”

“Believe it or not, as a kid, I collected the Planet of the Apes figurines. The TV shows were very popular in Europe in the late ’70s. So when I was asked to chose the movies, choosing POTA was a no-brainer to me. I had to do it. I re-watched it again, and just like Conan, it is still as great a movie today as it was 40 years ago.”

Movie - Science - Fiction - Movies - Time

“This movie is in my top five best science fiction movies of all time (along with Blade Runner, Alien, Gattaca and Star Wars). The scenario is perfect – everything in this movie is just first...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It takes a government, to create a genocide.