Upgraders rejoice! The 2018 Mac Mini heralds a return to memory slots!

www.theregister.co.uk | 11/9/2018 | Staff
normanorma (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://regmedia.co.uk/2018/11/09/2018_mac_mini_teardown.jpg

The once humble Mac Mini has received the iFixit treatment following its long overdue 2018 refresh, and the verdict? The dinky box might just be the most repairable machine in the whole line-up.

Apple’s Mac Mini has languished at the back of the cupboard for a few too many years, a situation that Apple resolved in its most recent launch with CPU, RAM and storage updates a-plenty. And, of course, a suitable Apple price to match.

Mac - Minis - Approach - Things - Edition

Earlier Mac Minis benefitted from a modular approach, which made the things relatively straightforward to upgrade. Indeed, I have a 2012 edition on my desk that even my fat fingers managed to upgrade to 16GB and an SSD with relatively little drama.

For 2018, some of that upgradability has gone. But taking the thing to pieces remains relatively drama-free as the iFixit team discovered.

Case - Models - Apple - Innate - Desire

The case is little changed from earlier models, with Apple resisting its innate desire to go stupidly thin or light. This means there is plenty of space for useful ports, as we observed last week.

Getting into the case is little trickier than my 2012 version, requiring an opening tool to prise off the base a la 2014’s vintage. Sadly, twist-off covers are now a thing of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.theregister.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Homeschool or State Thought Police School, you choose.