GEORGIA TECH, UCONN, AND UMASS LOWELL ESTABLISH 3D PRINTING RESEARCH CENTER

3D Printing Industry | 11/9/2018 | Beau Jackson
Pumpkinajn (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://3dprintingindustry.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/LARGE-SHAP3D.jpg

The Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Connecticut (UCONN), and the University of Massachusetts Lowell are collaborating to establish a National Science Foundation (NSF) Industry/University Cooperative Research Center (I/UCRC) for 3D printing.

The I/UCRC will operate from all three universities to form the Science of Heterogeneous Additive Printing of 3D Materials (SHAP3D) center, addressing emerging challenges in the industry.

Vision - Network - Excellence - Manufacturing - Knowledge

“Our vision is to establish a synergistic national network of excellence in additive manufacturing knowledge, experience, and facilities that will add value to the additive manufacturing industry, which is expected to top $20 billion within the next five years,” said Professor Joey Mead, Distinguished University Professor at UMass Lowell and Director for SHAP3D.

Founded in 1950 by the U.S. Congress, the NSF acts an independent federal agency created “to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare.” The NSF holds an annual budget of about $7 billion, and has previously awarded Florida A&M University (FAMU) $4.9 million dollars to establish the Center for Complex Materials Design for Multidimensional Additive Processing (CoManD Center).

Years - NSF - University - Central - Florida

In recent years, the NSF has also awarded the University of Central Florida (UCF) and the University of Texas (UT) $400,049 for research developing 3D printed photon funnels. Following this, OESH shoes, an orthotic footwear company based in Charlottesville, Virginia, was awarded a phase II grant from the NSF to develop its pellet-based 3D printing process for manufacturing shoes from elastomer materials.

The NSF’s new I/UCRC program focuses on collaborative, pre-competitive research forming “a financial and procedural framework that provides significant value to the nation, industry and university faculty...
(Excerpt) Read more at: 3D Printing Industry
Wake Up To Breaking News!