Schism among the Orthodox

Cranach | 11/9/2018 | Staff
trainmantrainman (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/305/2018/11/Patriarch_kirill_and_patriarch_bartholomew_in_kronstadt1.jpeg

The Orthodox tradition seems to many Christians to be a haven from the woes of contemporary Christianity and a way to experience the unity of the historic church, as it used to be in the early church, before both popes and protestants. An Orthodox friend told me that their church avoids problems by just never changing. That might be debatable, and sometimes churches need to change; that is, to have a Reformation. At any rate, a schism has broken out in world Orthodoxy. And the unlikely Luther or anti-Luther is Vladimir Putin.

Putin’s invasion of the Ukraine in 2014 has only increased Ukrainian nationalism and has intensified the aversion to all things Russian. Now the Ukrainian Orthodox Church has unified its various factions to create a self-governing body separate from the Russian Orthodox Church.

Head - World - Orthodoxy - Patriarch - Constantinople

The titular head of world Orthodoxy is the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, who is currently Bartholomew I. As an archbishop considered among the other bishops “the first among equals”–how the Bishop of Rome used to be, before the development of the pope’s status as “Vicar of Christ”–the Patriarch can call councils and is in charge of the relationship between the various Orthodox church bodies.

Bartholomew I has extended recognition to the autonomous the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. This has made the Russian Orthodox Church go ballistic.

Church

The Russian church is by...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Cranach
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Why do democrats never have to face the reality of what's on the ground, like 2000 years of marriage.
Tagged: