Haunting portraits of WW1 heroes to be etched into the sand

Mail Online | 11/11/1918 | Danny Boyle For The Daily Mail
TaylorShaye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/11/08/21/5951496-0-image-a-33_1541712107458.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/11/02/287920786068714045/1024x576_MP4_287920786068714045.mp4

On November 11, 1918, the great tide of blood that had swept Western Europe and many other parts of the world since 1914 was at last stemmed by the Armistice.

It is a day we have marked every year since. This year, the hundredth, has to feel different.

Organisation - NOW - Arts - Groups - Past

That is why an organisation called 14-18 NOW has teamed up with local arts groups to bring the past into the present and make us freshly aware of the sacrifices of that terrible war.

Across Britain, local communities will be able to watch as their beaches are transformed to reveal portraits of soldiers who gave their lives for their country.

Way - Sacrifices

We wanted to suggest a way in which we could all acknowledge those sacrifices together.

This was not intended to replace formal ceremonies that will take place at The Cenotaph and war memorials all over the country, but something that could underline the significance of a century and be celebrated alongside them.

Rudyard - Kipling - Poem - Boy - Jack

Rudyard Kipling's poem, 'My Boy Jack' was written in 1917 in response to the losses in the Battle of Jutland. It also reflects his deeply personal feelings about the disappearance of his son John at the Battle of Loos in 1915: 'Have you news of my boy Jack? / Not this tide.'

The poem has come to represent, for many of us, our own feelings about the millions of unknown soldiers lost to history.

Tide - Thought - Men - Women - Shores

Kipling's tide, and the thought of those men and women who left these shores to serve, made me think of the beaches that surround these islands as a possible space where people could come together and commemorate the century since their fight ended: To say goodbye.

The shoreline belongs to everyone, it is a democratic space, where only the sea rules; at once a personal and public landscape.

Beaches

And these same beaches...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!