Division, Jesus, Unity

Tim Challies | 11/6/2018 | Staff
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.challies.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Challies-thumb-DivisionJesusUnity-1200x630-Blog_2.jpg

At this year’s G3 Conference I had the opportunity to share some of the lessons my church has learned as we’ve grown into a congregation that reflects many different kinds of diversity. In this video I explain how one passage has been meaningful to us.

You know in the first section of Ephesians 2, Paul talks about how people become Christians. Then in the rest of the chapter, he starts to discuss how God takes those Christians and He combines them into these communities that we call churches. And he essentially tells us a story here that unfolds in three scenes. And if we had all day, I’d really want to dive into this and unpack this. As it is, our time is short so, I’m going to focus really on how it applies to us, today.

Thing - Something - Division - Beginning - Paul

And that first thing we come to, we might title something like, division. It begins right at the beginning, verse 11 there. So Paul is speaking to, largely to believers here. And he asks them to do something. He asks them to think back in time, to before God extended His grace to them, before they were saved. He tells the church, remember. Think back to who and what you were before God’s miraculous work in your life. He wants them to remember, he wants them to remember first, that they were divided. In that state there was deep division, Jews and Gentiles were divided from one another. The Jews, they looked down on the Gentiles and they slurred them with that word you see in there, the uncircumcision. It was very, very much an us and them mentality, where the Jews looked down on the Gentiles and the Gentiles looked down on the Jews. Humanity was divided from humanity. But it was even worse...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Tim Challies
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: