Placing Politics in a Larger Spiritual Context

Crisis Magazine | 11/6/2018 | Stephen Fitzpatrick
jenn1020 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.crisismagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/shutterstock_763683007.jpg

It behooves a citizen of a free and democratic society to exercise his right to vote. It is a solemn and serious responsibility at all times but perhaps especially these days when the abortion issue so strongly divides our two major political parties. I distinctly remember the first time I voted in a federal election in this country. I was still a relatively newly minted American citizen when I proudly cast a vote for the Romney/Ryan ticket in 2012. It was at once an empowering and, paradoxically, a humbling experience. Ever since then, I have been careful to research candidates and vote accordingly in all elections, local and federal. And I strongly encourage my friends to do the same. And I strongly encourage you to do the same. Get out and vote on Tuesday and bring your friends with you. It is a sacred duty of an American and one that should not be taken lightly.

Now with all that being said, the importance of voting is not the topic of this essay. In the hyper-politicized environment characteristic of the United States today, I would like to take a step back from the constant flash of Fox News, the endless noise of talk radio, the sensationalism of CNN, the Niagara Falls of social media, and get some perspective. We all need a healthy dose of proper perspective from time to time: a moment of calm and quiet in which we can properly assess the relative importance of things. This is, I think, what Jesus was doing as he wrote in the dust in front of the angry and politically motivated mob as they demanded the blood of the woman taken in adultery in John 8.

Episode - Gospel - John - Chapter - Jesus

I would like to look at another episode from the Gospel of John. In chapter six, Jesus...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Crisis Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
2KXVI
Tagged: