Day of a Stranger: Forthcoming Movie Reveals a Hidden Side of Thomas Merton

Carl McColman | 11/5/2018 | Staff
magiccastlemagiccastle (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/388/2018/11/DOAS-featured.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/388/2018/11/DOAS-featured-768x768.jpg

Here’s a trailer for a forthcoming short film about Thomas Merton and the hermitage he lived in at the end of his life. Take a few moments and watch this. It’s a treat. And be sure to watch it to the end.

Like most indie films, the producer and director of this film are relying on financial support of donors and fans (i.e., folks like you and me) to complete the production. Visit the “Day of a Stranger” website to learn more and to donate.

Film - Director - Cassidy - Hall - Course

The film’s director is Cassidy Hall, who of course is one of the co-hosts of the Encountering Silence podcast. Cassidy took a few moments to answer a few questions I had about the film.

Filmmaker Cassidy Hall, director of “Day of a Stranger” outside Thomas Merton’s hermitage near Gethsemani Abbey, Kentucky.

Film - Thomas - Merton - Hermitage

How did you get inspired to create a film about Thomas Merton and his hermitage?

Even aside from politics, our days host an array of their own problems. Many have viewed the life of a monk or hermit to be a departure from the world and its many problems. But I’ve come to see this going away from the world as a way to love it—and its humans—more deeply.

Thomas - Merton - New - Seeds - Contemplation

I began reading Thomas Merton’s New Seeds of Contemplation sometime back in 2011. This evolved into a Gethsemani Abbey pilgrimage which led to me traveling to the seventeen Trappist/Cistercian monasteries of the US to talk to monks and nuns about silence, solitude, and contemplative life. Somewhere along the way I became more and more interested in Thomas Merton’s work and hermitage years—why would such a brilliant person who has so much to offer the world go away from the world. The joke was on me until I began to read further into his desires for solitude and how this tension and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Carl McColman
Wake Up To Breaking News!
To despair is to turn your back on God, you can never despair.