House of Cards season 6: Robin Wright should have taken over sooner

CNET | 11/3/2018 | Patricia Puentes
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/nKkXNsaJX-z1C2S6hWp1H3GXcu8=/2018/10/17/7de65551-ab48-4697-a11d-2882c41b8c1d/hoc-601-unit-00161r.jpg

Robin Wright in season 6 of House of Cards.

It's no spoiler to say Frank Underwood doesn't make it into the sixth and final season of House of Cards. Netflix announced the character's offscreen demise in a teaser trailer for the new season, following accusations of sexual harassment against actor Kevin Spacey.

Spacey - A - Part - Show - Appeal

But let's not dwell on Spacey. A huge part of the show's appeal has been the interplay between Spacey's Frank Underwood and his wife Claire, played by Robin Wright. And in season 6, streaming on Netflix now, the show finally belongs to Claire, and to Wright.

She's so good, so believable, I couldn't help but wonder if House of Cards should have killed off Francis Underwood even sooner.

Diane - Lane - Robin - Wright

Diane Lane and Robin Wright.

There's a moment in this season's third episode where three women over 50 -- Robin Wright, Diane Lane and Patricia Clarkson -- meet in the Oval Office and discuss 1949's feminist manifesto The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir. Lane's character, Annette Shepherd, a millionaire and childhood friend of Claire's, didn't like it. Clarkson's Jane Davis says the book was right about everything. Claire doesn't specify her literary preferences -- but I like to think she's with Jane.

Season - Feminism - Screen - Camera - Women

This season's feminism is right there on screen. And behind the camera too, as women fill writing and directing roles, and Wright is an executive producer.

Wright looks straight into the camera the same way her husband used to. "Are you still there? Do you miss Francis?" she asks the first time she breaks the fourth wall this season. "Here's the thing," she adds. "Whatever Francis told you the last five years, don't believe a word of it. It's going to be different for you and me. I'm going to tell you the truth."

Claire

Maybe because it's impossible not to empathize with Claire the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!