Jacqueline Gold recalls losing her baby boy at eight months

Mail Online | 10/29/2018 | Kerry Mcdermott For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/10/29/10/5527968-0-image-a-19_1540809650825.jpg

Ann Summers boss Jacqueline Gold has recalled the agony of hearing her desperately ill baby boy Alfie 'crying in pain' when he was born on Desert Island Discs.

The multi-millionaire businesswoman, 58, opened up about the loss of Alfie, who died aged just eight months, following an emotional IVF battle that saw her fall pregnant with twins at 48 with her husband Dan, who is 17 years her junior.

Jacqueline - News - Boy - Girl - Son

Jacqueline, who said she'd been 'ecstatic' at the news she was expecting a boy and a girl, was told her son had a fatal abnormality that meant he would not survive birth. In fact he lived to eight months, but was never well enough to leave hospital.

'Alfie did survive the birth,' an emotional Jacqueline said on the BBC Radio 4 show. 'He was crying when he was born but not as babies do - he was crying because he was in pain. No mother should have to go through that, to hear her child cry in pain.'

Alfie - Twin - Sister - Scarlett - Jacqueline

Alfie's twin sister Scarlett is now nine-years-old, and Jacqueline told host Lauren Laverne how she's been sitting in on her mother's business meetings since she was five - because 'I desperately want my daughter to grow up believing she can be whatever she wants to be'.

Ms Gold, who was barely into her 20s when she joined her father's company and introduced the concept that revolutionised the business, the Ann Summers party, told how the 'emotional rollercoaster' that is IVF initially saw her and Dan, now her second husband, break up, but that they reunited two years later after a chance meeting in a nightclub.

'It - Feature - Film - Moment - Jacqueline

'It was a feature film moment,' said Jacqueline, who resumed IVF in the US following their reunion and conceived her twins, who were born in May 2009.

'I really...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!