Grado’s first Bluetooth headphone signals a change of direction

CNET | 10/27/2018 | Steve Guttenberg
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/XHM9JokHB_BdGAOLSru0FhtbGWI=/724x407/2018/10/25/47fe2da4-a2c0-4c95-b711-92b092950790/02-gw100-grado-wireless-headphones-reveal-shoot-2.jpg

Grado's new GW100 Bluetooth headphone.

Grado is one of the most traditional headphone manufacturers on the planet, and its products have all been designed and made in Brooklyn. For nearly 30 years all of their full-size headphones have been open-back designs, so changes come at a snail's pace. Oh, and up to this point all of them have been wired headphones, and those wires were all pretty thick and, to be frank, unwieldy.

GW100 - Company - Bluetooth - Model - Brooklyn

The GW100 is the company's first Bluetooth model, and while it was also designed in Brooklyn it's their first full-size headphone assembled "overseas." The GW100's US price is $249, it's £200 in the UK, and AU$330 in Australia.

The Grado feels cheaper than you might expect for the price, but the headband's padding feels slightly better than Grado's Prestige series 'phones. The GW100 is agreeably light on my head, and I found it more comfortable than most Grados. It's easy to wear for hours at a time.

Grado - GW100 - World - Bluetooth - Version

Grado claims the GW100 is the world's first open-back Bluetooth (version 4.2 apt-X) design. The headphone's look is at once familiar, but cleaner and more modern, and a little less retro than other Grados.

The GW100 doesn't do noise-canceling and as an open-back design it doesn't do a thing to hush external noise. So the GW100 isn't ideal for listening on the go in noisy places. It also doesn't come with a protective carry case, and I doubt the GW100 will survive being crammed into a backpack too many times.

Battery - Play - Time

Battery play time is rated...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A man rises to the greatness that is expected of him.