Tusk says Brexiteers are '100% responsible' for Irish border impasse

Mail Online | 7/22/2014 | Tim Sculthorpe, Deputy Political Editor For Mailonline
hoppers911 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/10/24/13/5361612-0-image-a-7_1540385013125.jpg

Donald Tusk accused Brexiteers of being '100 per cent responsible' for creating the Irish border dispute that has deadlocked the negotiations with Brussels.

In comments that will enrage Eurosceptics the EU Council President said the issue delaying a deal was nothing to do with Brussels.

Mr - Tusk - Britain - EU - Market

Mr Tusk has repeatedly said if Britain was prepared to stay in the EU single market and customs union the Irish border could function as it does today.

But Brexiteers insist this would be Brexit in name only, leaving the UK unable to strike free trade deals around the world.

Talks - Months - 'backstop - Border - Brexit

Instead the talks have been bogged down for months on creating a 'backstop' for how the Irish border will stay open between the Brexit transition period and a full UK-EU trade deal.

Failure to break the impasse could leave Britain crashing out of the EU without any deal at all in March.

Brexit - Debate - European - Parliament - Today

Following a Brexit debate in the European Parliament today, Mr Tusk tweeted at Nigel Farage: 'I don't know what the result of the Brexit talks is going to be.

'But I know that it is the Brexiteers, who are 100 per cent responsible for bringing back the problem of the Irish border.'

Brexiteer - Ringleader - Jacob - Rees-Mogg - MailOnline

Brexiteer ringleader Jacob Rees-Mogg told MailOnline: 'The backstop is 100 per cent unnecessary and only wanted by the EU.

'No one is going to impose a hard border with or without an agreement.'

Mr - Rees-Mogg - Research - Group - Policy

Mr Rees-Mogg's European Research Group published a policy paper in September setting out how to make the Irish border work.

It promoted using technology to track cross border movements of goods, standard employment checks for monitoring people and intelligence-led policing to pursue smugglers.

Member - Mark - Francois - 'The

ERG member Mark Francois added: 'The...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't panic!