Welcome to the Cave

Parent Cue | 2/6/2014 | Tim Walker
ziggy1023 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://theparentcue.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/1368274711-e1439943033308.jpg

My wife is incredibly social. She can talk to anyone, and anyone talks to her. She’s one of those people whom random strangers seek out to divulge all kinds of information. She can ride in an elevator with someone and know more about their lives than a close friend would know after a year of Facebook posts.

I, on the other hand, lack a small-talk gene. I know how to shut down a conversation—whether it’s intentional or not. And while I crave alone time, my wife and my kids thrive on spending time with friends.

Dream - Home - Cave - Theirs - Hotel

My dream home is a cave. Theirs is a hotel with a constant stream of guests.

You see, I like order, a little too much sometimes. I like predictable. I like when it’s just the five of us.

Hands - Wife - Kids - Someone - Mix

I feel like I have my hands full with just keeping up with my wife and kids, and adding someone else into the mix just feels like “one more thing” to deal with sometimes.

I know. If I were eighty, I would be the old man at the end of the street with the dilapidated house yelling at kids to get off my lawn.

Family - Life - People

But my family loves sharing our life with other people.

And so I give in.

Breakfast - Sons - Friends

I get up and make breakfast for my sons and their friends.

I drive them to where they need to go.

Space

I give them space.

The house gets noisier.

Messier

Messier.

I abdicate the TV.

Process - Kids - Family - Heart

And in the process, some of those kids who come over become like family. My small, little grinch-sized heart starts to care about them.

As an added bonus, I learn more...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parent Cue
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It just doesn't get bettere than this...
Tagged: