Raising Superman

Parent Cue | 6/25/2013 | Tim Walker
josh567 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://theparentcue.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/superman-1-of-1-494x3291.jpg

Last weekend, I went to see Man of Steel with my oldest son. I’m a big superhero fan, especially DC comics superheroes—Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash. We’ve been superfriends since my childhood.

As I was watching the movie, wearing my Justice League shirt that my brother-in-law bought me, I saw myself on the screen. No, I have no delusion that I look like Henry Cavill, or that I can fly—despite my best efforts as a child, running around the yard with a towel bunched around my neck and flowing down my back. I just never could get any air to take off.

Someone - Kent

No, I saw myself in someone I never associated with—Pa Kent.

In Man of Steel, Pa Kent is different than he’s been portrayed in the past. he’s still a good man, a man of solid character. But he’s also afraid. Not of his alien, adopted son who could sneeze and blow his house down. But of the world that his son is a part of.

World

A world that may not understand him.

A world that may try to hurt him.

Powers - Attention

So he advises him to keep his powers hidden. To not draw attention to himself. To hold back.

Pa Kent is afraid of a world that would try to hurt his son—despite his son’s great abilities.

Aliens - Home—although - Something - Rooms - Children

I’m not raising any adopted aliens in my home—although I do think there’s something alien growing in one of their rooms. Nor do I think my children have superman-like powers. I saw that firsthand when I pushed one of them out of a swing as a child, and he went flying in the air and landed on the ground.

But I am like Pa Kent, in that a lot of times, I react out of fear. And as they get older, this seems to leak out more and more. Especially...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parent Cue
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't touch that, you don't know where it's been.
Tagged: