The name “Mormon”: Why all the fuss, and why now?

Religion News Service | 10/20/2018 | Staff
penaert (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/10.20.18-Mormon-vs-LDS-vs-full-name-of-church-Google-Trends.png

Me this week making soup for the missionaries in my retrofitted “Meet the Mormons” apron.

It’s been two weeks now since Russell M. Nelson, president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, devoted an entire General Conference talk to the now-verboten word “Mormon,” emphasizing the importance of using the full name of the church.

Fact - Noire - President - Nelson - Religion

This has been tried before. In fact, it was a bête noire of President Nelson’s long before he assumed the religion’s top post in January of this year.

In the April 1990 General Conference talk “Thus Shall My Church Be Called,” then-Elder Nelson made many of the same points he reiterated more forcefully at this recent Conference:

Shall - My - Church - Be - Correct

1990, “Thus Shall My Church Be Called” 2018, “The Correct Name of the Church”

“I refer to a name given by the Lord: ‘Thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.’ (D&C 115:4.) Note carefully the language of the Lord. He did not say, ‘Thus shall my church be named.’ He said, ‘Thus shall my church be called.’” “It was the Savior Himself who said, ‘For thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.’”

Names - Nickname - Name - Nickname - Parents

“We are all pleased when our names are pronounced and spelled correctly. Sometimes a nickname is used instead of the real name. But a nickname may offend either the one named or the parents who gave the name.” “When the Savior clearly states what the name of His Church should be and even precedes His declaration with, ‘Thus shall my church be called,’ He is serious. And if we allow nicknames to be used or adopt or even sponsor those nicknames ourselves, He is offended.”

“By divine directive, the title of the Church bears the sacred name of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: