**** Rhythms and a New Rule

Parent Cue | 2/23/2011 | Carey Nieuwhof
cindy95240 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://theparentcue.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/preteenupdate.jpg

One of the greatest adjustments I had to make in parenting happened when my kids soared past their tenth birthdays. It had to do with shifting rhythms, and I really found myself unprepared.

I could deal with the rhythms of the first ten years of parenting fairly easily. Stage one is called hanging on for dear life—from night time feedings to diaper changes to play time, nap time, meal time and story time . . . parents are fighting to establish a rhythm that doesn’t complete exhaust them. And usually, we do (if you’re not there yet . . . hang on . . . it comes).

Years - Rhythms - School - Day - Lunches

The early elementary years were the most straight forward. From the rhythms of the school day, to homework, to packing lunches, to sports, lessons and club activities, family life is at its most structured and controlled. Busy and full…but predictable.

Then we hit the pre-teens years. For me, it was a strange awakening. I realized the kids didn’t want to play the games we used to play. From building Lego to endless rounds of hockey in the driveway, the kids lost interest. They wanted to spend more time with their friends. None of this is bad or unnatural, but it almost felt like the parent-child relationship was breaking down.

Three-year-old - Thirteen-year-old

Your three-year-old who would never leave you alone is now your thirteen-year-old who doesn’t...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parent Cue
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: