Director Sacha Gervasi on Turning His Personal Interview into the Film ‘My Dinner with Hervé’

Collider | 10/19/2018 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/my-dinner-with-herve-sacha-gervasi-herve-villechaize-01.jpg

From writer/director Sacha Gervasi (Anvil: The Story of Anvil, Hitchcock) and inspired by his own experiences, My Dinner with Hervé tells the story of what happened when struggling journalist Danny Tate (Jamie Dornan) reluctantly took an assignment to interview actor Hervé Villechaize (Peter Dinklage) that turned into so much more. After having the French dwarf pull a knife on him and being challenged to delve deeper into the man behind the public persona, an unlikely friendship formed over a wild night in Los Angeles that became a life-changing experience.

During this 1-on-1 phone interview with Collider, filmmaker Sacha Gervasi talked about how much stranger the truth can be than fiction, the runner-up for stand-out experience during his time as a reporter, the affect his wild experience with Hervé Villechaize had on him, developing the project with Peter Dinklage, why they never gave up on making this film, finally finding the perfect home at HBO, how he came to cast Jamie Dornan, teaching audiences about Hervé the man vs. the persona, the overwhelming reaction he received from Hervé’s girlfriend, and what he’d like to do next.

Collider - Film - Stories - Way - Something

Collider: This film is so interesting because it’s one of those stories that has to be true, since there’s no way that you could make up something like this.

SACHA GERVASI: Exactly! You could never make it up. As we all know, life is so much stranger than anything you could in fiction. It’s such a crazy, unexpected story, and I think the film reflects the unexpectedness and the surprise that I also felt, being thrust into this epic experience. It was wild.

Assignment - Paper - Interview - Years - Movie

When you were sent on this assignment by your paper, to do this interview back then, could you ever have possibly imagined that you’d be here now, all of these years later, talking about this movie?

GERVASI:...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
This space intentionally left blank