Beyond the Status Quo

Parent Cue | 1/21/2011 | Carey Nieuwhof
darktm22darktm22 (Posted by) Level 4
I have this reluctant realization in my life… I usually only change when the pain of the status quo is greater than the pain associated with change.

I wish it wasn’t so, but think about it… might that also be true of you? You want to get thinner or work out, but it’s easier after the doctor told you to do it because if you don’t, within five years you’re going to face a major health crisis. Why do you change when that happens? Because the pain associated with the status quo just become greater than the pain associated with change.

Couple - Marriage - Counselling - Tedium - Years

Or the couple that finally sought marriage counselling. The tedium endured for years but the blow up last month made it untenable. Even though it wasn’t great for a long time, the pain associated with the status quo was still less than the pain associated with change. Until that changes there often isn’t any change.

So how does the status quo end up playing out in your family? Families work hard in the early years to find create rhythms and patterns become the status quo. The problem is that the status quo can easily drift from what we want it to be. And...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parent Cue
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It's a fight to the death, which you will eventually lose...
Tagged: