Bella Thorne Says She Only Had $200 to Her Name After Her Disney Channel Show Ended

PEOPLE.com | 10/18/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/bella-thorne.jpg?crop=0px,0px,1600px,840px&resize=1200,630

With four movies out, Bella Thorne is living the Hollywood dream. But her life hasn’t always been that way, the star revealed to the L.A. Times in an interview published Thursday.

The Disney Channel alum, 21, spoke candidly to the newspaper about her childhood and the strength she’s needed to overcome some dark experiences, including going broke at 18, decades of alleged sexual abuse at the hands of an older man in her home, and her father’s death when she was just 9.

Thorne - Disney - Channel - Shake - Up

Thorne claimed that despite working on the Disney Channel’s Shake It Up alongside Zendaya for three years, when it was done, she had only $200 to her name. When asked where the money went, she replied, “You know where it went,” but wouldn’t elaborate further. The Times suggested it may have to do with the Coogan Law, which requires employers to withhold 15 percent of a minor’s gross wages, preventing income from going entirely to kid actors’ guardians.

To stay afloat, the social media maven moved in with her boyfriend at the time, Gregg Sulkin, who was also a Disney Channel star. She explained that he had to take care of her meals, which embarrassed her because her father taught her always to pay.

Things - Half - Bella - Life - Things

“I didn’t think things were going to go down like that,” she mused. “And then half of me is like, ‘Come on, Bella. Look at your whole life. Don’t be naïve. You knew somewhere deep down inside things were not right.’ ”

In December 2017, she revealed that she had been molested: Someone on Twitter wrote to her, “What did Disney do this girl?! I think she was molested,” and she replied “Yeah I was,” though she clarified Disney had nothing to do with it.

Marilyn - Monroe - Bit

“I used to think of myself like Marilyn Monroe a little bit,” she told...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
No matter where you go, there you are.