Raising Strong Men

Parent Cue | 9/30/2011 | Carey Nieuwhof
melanie7 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://theparentcue.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Strong-boy-494x328-1.jpg

The posts this week on the blog by Amy and Kendra have been incredibly helpful. But what about those of us who are raising boys? And more accurately, raising boys who soon will be men?

Author John Eldredge comes quite close to the truth, I think, when he says the question every young woman asks is “Am I captivating?” While the question every young man asks is “Do I have what it takes?”

Culture - Teenage - Boys - Chests - Tone

Sure, we live in a culture where teenage boys shave their chests and tone muscles for hours on end in the gym. But I don’t think that’s where guys really rise and fall. Underneath our style (or lack of it, which is also a style) there is a question I think every man eventually asks: Do I have what it takes? Am I good enough? Do I measure up?

I think most men start out believing that this question can be answered by proving ourselves. So we:

Team

strive to be the best on the team.

become an expert at something (from karate to chess club).

Try - Space - Marketplace

try to mark out our space in the marketplace.

drive nice cars or buy toys that make us feel like we’re something (what lipstick is to a woman, cars, guns or toys are to a man – they make us feel complete…for a short while).

Something - Arena - Home

become dominant at something, even, sadly, if it means the only arena in which you are dominant is your home.

All of these things (and more) pretend to answer the question “Do I have what it takes”, but the older we get we realize that none of this is ultimately satisfying. That all of it leaves us empty on the other side. And after multiple conquests, we are still left unsatisfied.

Use - Power - Falls - Understanding - Strength

And that’s where our use of power falls short. That’s where our understanding of strength fails....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parent Cue
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: