Blumhouse Founder Explains Not Hiring Female Filmmakers: “There Are Not A Lot Of Female Directors, Period”

The Playlist | 10/17/2018 | Charles Barfield
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Female-Directors-Blumhouse.jpg

Jason Blum is a name that is brought up time and time again when people are talking about the most prolific and profitable producers in the film industry. Maybe only behind someone like Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige, Blum and his Blumhouse Productions have been on a tear in the last decade-plus, releasing hit microbudget film after hit microbudget film. And in a new interview promoting his next financial triumph “Halloween,” the producer discusses the future and why it’s been so difficult finding a female director to helm a project.

“I really believe in the way our company makes movies,” Blum says in an interview with Polygon. “I believe in our low budgets. I believe in using directors who aren’t necessarily from horror, like Jordan Peele or David Gordon Green. And I believe in our system which is unique and unusual.”

Readers - Gist - Right - Blumhouse - Method

Even though he gives readers the basic gist right there, the Blumhouse method for releasing films is as follows: take a simple, but intriguing plot. Hire an up-and-coming or relatively unknown director. Give the film a budget well under $10 million. And use the Blumhouse name and pedigree to promote the **** out of it. That basic formula has spawned films like “Get Out,” “The Purge,” “Happy Death Day,” and “Insidious” to name just several of many.

But one thing has been notably missing with those films, and in Hollywood, in general — female directors. Blumhouse, which has been seen as a breeding ground for untapped talent, has yet to sign a female director to helm one of its more...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Playlist
Wake Up To Breaking News!