Waffle Fries, Grace, and Our Worst Moments

(in)courage | 10/17/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/10172018_Gerth_YouAreForgiven-1200x858.jpg

Today we’re celebrating with (in)courage cofounder and Wall Street Journal bestselling author Holley Gerth as she releases a new devotional, Hope Your Heart Needs: 52 Encouraging Reminders of How God Cares for You. It’s a little book that’s big on encouragement. Enjoy the excerpt below — it will make you laugh, maybe cry, and want to find some waffle fries!

Crumpled tissues create a fortress in front of me, flanked by medicine bottles. I’m behind them, slumped down, surrendering to sleep at last. My husband comes into the room and says something. I struggle to hear, to process through the fog. But I miss what he’s trying to express entirely. Instead, I misunderstand. I snap. Angry words. Then tears. A retreat to our bedroom. A slammed door. I’m a crazy woman, out of my mind. What am I doing? What am I saying?

Pajamas - Purse - Door - Car - Street

I don’t trust myself to calm down or behave. So, still in my pajamas, I grab my purse and walk out the door. I back up the car and then sit in the street, unsure of where to go, what to do. I’d likely give our entire town the plague if I entered a public space, and besides, I don’t feel well enough to take another step.

Then a moment of pure southern inspiration: my vehicle begins the familiar journey to the Chick-fil-A drive-through. I get my waffle fries and a diet Dr. Pepper, effective as any prescription. I pull into the final row of the parking lot.

Friend - Something - Meltdown - Parking - Lot

I call my friend and say something like, “I had an epic meltdown and I can’t calm myself down and I’m in the parking lot in my pajamas eating fries.” She tries to understand me between bites and might have stifled a giggle before she tells me this is not the end of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!