HEAD VS. HOLSTER: THE IMPORTANCE OF A SOLID SELF-DEFENSE MINDSET

dailycaller.com | 10/16/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/concealed-carry-e1494001095665.jpg

I saw a statement on social media to the effect of “personal defense begins in your head, not your holster,” and wish I could remember whom to credit for this piece of wisdom. I wish I had thought it up because it says so much about what it takes to stay safe in today’s world. As gunwriters, we spend most of our time talking about defensive firearms. And firearms are a big part of the personal-defense picture. But, they are in truth only a part of the bigger picture.

All too often we find people who, having decided that their personal defense is important, run down to the gun store, buy a gun and some ammo and figure that they are good to go. Many of them haven’t even considered that a firearm is not much use without the ability to use it accurately, safely and wisely. They are often the ones who will intimate that the mere presence of a gun will often stop criminal attacks. They are less vocal when considering the times when it won’t, and a person has to shoot quickly and accurately in order to save lives.

Purchase - Gun - Use - Person - Areas

The purchase of that gun is also not much use when a person has to be in areas where they cannot legally be armed. I’ve heard some reply that they simply stay away from those places. And that causes me to wonder how a person can successfully avoid being in courthouses, schools, airports, some churches, places that serve alcohol and businesses or workplaces that prohibit firearms. I know it is ridiculous, but the list is really quite long.

In his teaching, Col. Jeff Cooper talked about the Combat Triad, which is made up of Marksmanship, Gun Handling and the Combat Mindset. He showed the three elements in the form of an...
(Excerpt) Read more at: dailycaller.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!