‘Doctor Who’ Races to Establish a New Era With “The Ghost Monument”

/Film | 10/15/2018 | Hoai-Tran Bui
anikianiki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/doctor-who-s11ep2-0-e1539568668138.jpg

‘Doctor Who’ Races to Establish a New Era With “The Ghost Monument”

Well, I asked for something more visually impressive, and I got it. “The Ghost Monument” might be the most cinematic episode of Doctor Who yet, with the BBC likely pouring lots of money into those sweeping drone shots and the on-location shoot in South Africa. Where the charming but mostly competent season premiere felt almost suffocatingly small, the second episode of season 11 balloons out with an episode centering on an intergalactic space race. As for whether the episode’s narrative catches up with its ambitious premise, well, I’ll get to that later.

Season - Feels - Season - Doctor - Who

This season already feels unlike any season of Doctor Who before — but as for exactly how to describe this new era of the show, I’m kind of at a loss. Jodie Whittaker‘s debut episode as the 13th Doctor was a slow-to-unfold, character-driven drama, while “The Ghost Monument” is all rolling sand dunes and blockbuster-inspired storylines. But perhaps what new showrunner Chris Chibnall is bringing to Doctor Who is an undercurrent of scrappiness. Whittaker’s Doctor is less in control and more prone to scrambling for a solution than her predecessors — making the series more exciting and alien than ever. Welcome to the truly modern Doctor Who, replete with shaky handheld, grimy settings, and extreme close-ups. But while director Mark Tonderai piles on the lavish visuals, Chibnall’s script for “The Ghost Monument” is sadly a little lightweight.

The Hunger Games meets Running Man in “The Ghost Monument,” which picks up right after that tense cliffhanger that found the Doctor and her new friends beamed into the vacuum of outer space. They’re quickly scooped up by two spaceships, both searching for the lost planet Desolation. Separated into two groups, the Doctor, Yaz (Mandip Gill), Ryan (Tosin Cole), and Graham (Bradley...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Measuring his life out one teaspoon at a time.