Francis-Hatred and the Drip, Drip, Drip of Girardian Scapegoating

Catholic and Enjoying It! | 10/15/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2018/10/DomAZmnXgAQWaMZ-575x359.jpg

Click For Photo: https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p526x296/43064421_10205428277142924_7927747039792726016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&oh=2b5b8e9483dbc4374a5c31f7c390b65c&oe=5C62E5D5

C.S. Lewis remarks on the way in which our dislike of somebody can take on a hellish momentum:

I think of this as I watch the death by a thousand tiny cuts being inflicted on Francis by Super Catholics who now are committed to finding, not just something wrong with him, but everything–and to heaping on him the sort of malice that Jeremiah describes receiving from the mob who likewise hated him and sought to gossip him to death:

Whispering

For I hear many whispering.

Terror is on every side!

Denounce

“Denounce him! Let us denounce him!”

watching for my fall.

Revenge - Je

and take our revenge on him.” (Je 20:10).

Anything and everything becomes a subject for malignant backchat about him, because the goal is now simply to bite him to death and to mutually reinforce one another in a gloating, gossipy mob contempt for the man.

Day - Instance - Francis - Talk - Feast

So the other day, for instance, Francis gave a little talk for the Feast of Guardian Angels. During the course of it, he remarked, “Do you talk to your angel? Do you know your angel’s name? To you listen to your angel? Do you let your angel lead you by the hand & push you” when you’ve stalled?”

It was a typical pious exhortation by a pope formed in a culture of peasant piety. His heart was obviously in the right place because he is obviously a good man who believes you should cultivate a relationship with your guardian angel.

Ah - Mistake - Accusers

Ah! But he made a mistake! And so the accusers pounced!

It turns out that according to the widely read and extremely well-known Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy, 216 (under the heading about Devotion to the Holy Angels):

Practice - Names - Holy - Angels - Cases

“The practice of assigning names to the Holy Angels should be discouraged, except in the cases of Gabriel, Raphael and Michael whose names are contained in Holy Scripture.”

GOTCHA!...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic and Enjoying It!
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: