LIZ JONES begs the Royal Family... don’t turn into part of the showbiz circus

Mail Online | 5/24/2019 | Liz Jones Column for The Mail on Sunday
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/10/13/23/5027480-0-image-a-41_1539469003266.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/10/12/5605877373867900197/1024x576_MP4_5605877373867900197.mp4

It's 9am on a blustery Friday morning, and I’ve braved the phalanx of armed but very chatty police to stand, poised at a barrier, next to the statue of Queen Victoria outside Windsor Castle. I’d expected to be among, let’s face it, be-Union-Jacked fruitcakes and a few passing Japanese tourists for this, the wedding of a radiant but minor Royal.

No one’s ever said it much, I tell her. I’m someone who has found it hard to distinguish Eugenie from her older sister, Beatrice.

People - Ooh - Aah - Castle - Reason

As more people arrive, and ooh and aah at the castle, it becomes clear the reason we’re here is to be able to say we were part of history; we were there.

Even if we don’t know everything about her, there’s huge affection washing around, keeping us warm: ‘Eugenie is one of the quieter ones,’ admit Julie and Malcolm, now expats in Sydney. ‘We miss all this,’ they add, taking in the pomp and the pageantry. I meet Alexis and Sol, both 20, here from the US. ‘I love the fact Eugenie has a job!’ says Alexis.

Someone - Celebrities - Phone - People - Crowd

As someone who is not just a little obsessed with celebrities, I keep brandishing my phone and pointing out to people in the crowd the latest star to have disembarked at the church. But, to my huge surprise, no one’s interested; not even 25-year-olds Lewis and Sydney, here on a date. They only have eyes for the Windsors. ‘I think Kate looks tired,’ says a mum with a screaming toddler in a pushchair.

The most opprobrium comes from Rav Singh, a 57-year-old former IT worker, currently caring for his dad. He thinks the Royals who court celebs are playing a dangerous game.

Ceremony - Close - Everyone - Straightens - Cranes

As the ceremony draws to a close, everyone straightens and cranes for the moment the carriage containing the couple will flash past. Don’t...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Conservatives are to the GOP what oil is to water, and the GOPe spend most of their time skimming it off or setting it on fire.