Millennials Are Killing American Cheese Slices

Rare | 10/12/2018 | Lyndsay Burginger
Click For Photo: https://coxrare.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/american-cheese.jpg?w=1200&h=627&crop=1

Millennials are killing everything we love near and dear, or so it seems. According to various news outlets adults born between 1981 and 1996 are killing brands such as Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee’s, slashing off starter-homes, and opting for condiments other than mayonnaise. But most recently millennials have caused the decline of something so traditional in the United States home: American cheese slices.

According to a new report by Bloomberg, processed cheese brands like Kraft Singles and Velveeta have seen a slight drop of 1.6 percent this year, with the price of the product falling below four dollars a pound for the first time in seven years. The cheese product many generation X’s relied on for macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese, and as a topping on salami sandwiches is getting pushed aside for fancier cheeses like Brie, Monterey Jack, and even goat cheese.

Blame - Decline - Cheese - Share - Lunch

As a millennial, I’m not even mad to take the blame for the decline of sliced American cheese. While I did eat my fair share of it when I received it in my lunch box, today I stay clear of processed cheese and find myself spending more time at the deli counter grabbing fresh slices of cheddar cheese.

The history of processed cheese is quite…American. American cheese was invented back in 1916 and was sold in aluminum tins to soldiers during World War I. Soldiers brought the cheese back home...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Rare
Wake Up To Breaking News!