Chelsea Handler slammed for 'homophobic' tweet on National Coming Out Day

Mail Online | 5/24/2019 | Snejana Farberov For Dailymail.com
penaert (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/10/12/15/4994796-0-image-a-36_1539354372383.jpg

Outspoken comic Chelsea Handler came under fire after firing off a tweet taking a swipe at Republicans on National Coming Out Day that was deemed homophobic by many commenters.

'If you’re wondering why Republicans took a sick day today, it’s probably because it’s #NationalComingOutDay. Looking at you @LindseyGrahamSC,' Handler tweeted on Thursday.

Message - Senator - Lindsey - Graham - Republican

The message suggesting that Senator Lindsey Graham, a conservative Republican from South Carolina, was secretly gay has been retweeted nearly 2,400 times and has drawn 2,500 comments, most of them negative.

'Why is there such a gulf in understanding this fact: being gay is not something to shame or embarrass someone with,' one critic tweeted. 'It's staggering that, at this point, people who appear to be our community's allies still don't get it.'

BS - PROUD - Republican - % - Support

Another wrote: 'Total B.S. I’m a PROUD Republican & 100% support LGBTQ as do many of my Republican friends. I also know many LGBTQ friends that are themselves Republican.'

A third Twitter user chimed in: 'at what point are you going to learn that coming out isn't a joke made about people, even if they're evil. Is it today? I hope it's today.'

Others - Handler - Supporter - LGBTQ - Rights

Others accused Handler, who has longed billed herself as a staunch supporter of LGBTQ rights, of equating villainy with being gay.

One critic pointed out that Handler's joke was lacking in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!