Death Is but a Doorway

Desiring God | 10/3/2018 | John Piper
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/death-is-but-a-doorway-k83mqeqz-en/landscape/death-is-but-a-doorway-k83mqeqz-3cfef994b2279616d9e5e0f42d3b05e3.jpg?ts=1539270129&ixlib=rails-3.0.0&w=800&h=450&auto=format,compress&fit=min

This clip is from “The Key to Simultaneous Sorrow and Joy,” a message John Piper preached at Bethlehem College & Seminary.

On Monday, I received a text that one of the longtime members of the church — a good bit younger than I am — is in the hospital with stage four cancer and may not have long to live. And so I called Jason Meyer and said, “Can I go visit?” It’s the way our covenant works here. He never says no, but I clear it, and he said to go. And I drove down to the hospital and parked where I’ve always parked for 38 years. I know secret parking places.

Oncology - Nurses - Room - Fifteen - Minutes

I walked into oncology, and when the nurses came out of her room, I walked in. She smiled real big, and I sat down. Do you know what we did for fifteen minutes? We boasted in the hope of the glory of God.

We’re not pulling any punches here. She’s going to die. I’m going to die. You’re sick. I might be sick. No games here. Let’s get ready. Let’s talk about it. Let’s enjoy this. Let’s boast in this. And I looked her right in the eye and said, “God has not appointed you for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for you so that whether you wake or sleep you might live with him,” who is the glory of God (1 Thessalonians 5:9–10).

Ministry - Someday - Nothing - Person - Matter

Whether you are preparing for pastoral ministry or not, you’re going to get to do this someday. Don’t run away from it. Bring it on. Nothing is more sweet, precious, deep, awesome than to stand beside a person who, in a matter of weeks, will be in the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into"--Jonathan Swift
Tagged: