BBC's head of TV slams Netflix for using data-gathering robots

Mail Online | 5/24/2019 | Peter Lloyd for MailOnline
Kota79Kota79 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/10/12/09/4980294-0-image-a-3_1539332057243.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/10/09/1931101481786654288/1024x576_MP4_1931101481786654288.mp4

Data-gathering robots are undermining Netflix's creative content.

That's according to the BBC's head of television, Charlotte Moore, who criticised the popular streaming service for its scientific approach to commissioning new shows.

US - Company - Algorithms - Programmes - Subscribers

Currently, the US company relies on algorithms to suggest whether new programmes would be popular with subscribers.

Netflix carefully curates the lists based on in-app ratings, viewer demographics and the viewing history of its estimated 130 million paying subscribers.

BBC - Shows - Instinct - Approach - Ms

The BBC still green-lights its shows based on creative instinct, an approach which Ms Moore insists is superior.

'So much of what’s driving the rapid change in our industry is about technology, not creativity,' she said.

Television - Landscape - Profits - Companies - Programmes

'The television landscape is increasingly defined by what will deliver the biggest profits for companies, not the best programmes for audiences.

'I worry that the insatiable greed for data-gathering is actually serving the wrong master - that entire businesses are focused on what they can take from audiences, instead of what they can give back. The BBC is different.

'I - Amount - Data - Commission

'I don’t believe any amount of data can tell you what to commission next.

'Data simply won’t deliver you Car Share, A Very English Scandal, or...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The truth fairly and honestly presented, will be spun as a lie by a politician.
Tagged: