Taking Love For Granted

Jesus Creed | 10/12/2018 | Staff
gracey (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscreed/files/2017/11/Screen-Shot-2017-11-22-at-6.10.56-PM-300x214.png

Every once in a while, a couple will come by and talk to me about their marriage. Things aren’t the same, they’ll tell me and they’ll wonder if they’re “falling out of love”.

What seems to be the problem?

Nothing - Everything

Nothing, they’ll say. Everything, they’ll tell me.

Give me an example.

They’re fighting more, they’ll say.

About what?

Nothing - Everything - Kids - Homework - Practice

Nothing, they’ll say. Everything, they’ll tell me. They fight about who helps the kids with homework, and who’ll take them to soccer practice, music lessons and church functions.

They’ll fight about who’s the messiest, and why the garbage doesn’t get taken to the street on the right day.

Everything

Like they said…nothing and everything.

Then, I’ll ask a question that takes them both off guard. “When was the last time the two of you went on a date?”

Date - Language

Date? They will both look at me like I’m speaking a foreign language.

Date? Like just the two of us? Without the kids?

Date - Restaurant - Flowers - Yards…when - Time

Yeah, I’ll say, a date. You know. You call and ask her out to her favorite restaurant. Send her flowers and the whole nine yards…when was the last time you did that?

They’ll look at each other, and try to remember. It was before the kids, before the last promotion, before, well, there’s always something that was “before”.

Mike - Time - Friday - Anything

You know how it is, Mike, by the time I get home on Friday, I’m too tired to do anything.

And after a week of keeping the kids or working AND keeping the kids, I don’t want to talk to anyone or take care of anyone. I just want to be left alone.

Question - Story - People - Place - Time

I’ll then ask another question. “How did the two of you meet?” Usually, I’ll hear a great story of two people conniving and planning to “happen” to be at the same place at the same time so he could ask her out, and she, oh my, caught off...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: