The Man Who Prophesied
over Me in a Starbucks

(in)courage | 10/12/2018 | Staff
Fubu_chik (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/10052018_AlizaLatta_GodCanMeetUs-1200x858.jpg

The London rain falls outside of the coffee shop window. I tuck my converse-clad feet beneath my legs, holding my drink with both hands. I listen to my friend, Jared, speak across the table. “I just want to experience God,” Jared says.

“You can,” I tell him. “If you ask Him, God will show you who He is.”

Someone - Accent - Time

“Excuse me,” someone says behind me in a thick British accent, “Do you have the time?”

Jared doesn’t hear him, but I do, so I pull out my phone from my raincoat pocket. “It’s almost 2:30,” I say.

Man - Mid-sixties - England

The man smiles. I’d place him in his mid-sixties. “You must be American. In England we’d say it’s half past two.”

“Canadian,” I correct.

Man - Jared - Were - Church

The man turns to Jared. “Were you at church?”

“Yeah,” Jared says. “We were at church down the road.”

Christian - Man - Chair - Presence - Holy

“I used to be a Christian,” the man says softly. When he says this, I shift deeper in my chair. Suddenly I can tangibly feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in this Starbucks, and I know it’s going to be a conversation.

“What happened?” I ask. With this, Jared and I move from the table we are sitting at to the booth where the man is. We sit across from him.

God - Christians

“It’s not that I don’t believe in God,” he says. “I just don’t always like Christians.”

“I feel the same way sometimes,” I muse.

Man - Story - Love - Jesus - Alpha

The man tells us his story. He explains how he discovered the love of Jesus: through the Alpha program while he was in prison. His eyes light up as he talks about Jesus. He tells us how he suffers from a severe form of epilepsy, and how it’s hard to find a job now that he’s out of prison. He tells us how he asked God to give him a sign to remind him that his...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: