Sprinting to the Finish Line

ChurchLeaders | 10/11/2018 | Staff
max1max1 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/10.12finishline.jpg

The Bible describes the Christian life as a race—and it’s definitely more like a marathon than a sprint. The writer of Hebrews calls us to “run with endurance the race that is set before us” (Hebrews 12:1). Paul compels us to run with discipline and resolve to win an eternal prize. He expressed his concern that he would run the race in “vain” (Philippians 2:16; Galatians 2:2). He expressed regret that the believers in Galatia had once run well but had been hindered in their faith (Galatians 5:7).

Every race is judged not by how it starts, but how it is finished. I ran track as a sprinter in high school. In the relay races, I always ran the first leg. No matter how fast I was in getting out of the blocks and making a hand-off to the next runner, it mattered for nothing unless our fourth leg was fast enough to win the race.

Distance - Runners - Race - Laps - Miles

I’ve always been impressed with distance runners who know how to excel in a race of multiple laps or even many miles. A key to their performance in long-distance contests is the ability to “kick” in the final segment of the race. Usually the winner’s best effort is his last one as he reserves a sprint-like reserve to finish the race at an extraordinary pace.

Knowing the Christian life is a long-distance event compels us to ask the question: How will I finish the race? What will my spiritual pace look like as I approach the finish line? Will my last lap be my best one? Or will I dribble across the finish line with a “spiritual retirement” mindset, running without purpose?

Drink - Offering - Time - Departure - Hand

“For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Goverment, no matter how big, is always a big problem.
Tagged: