Counseling Together: Inviting Friends into Formal Counseling… a Desperate Move and Amazing Discovery

Biblical Counseling Coalition | 10/12/2018 | Garrett Higbee
Click For Photo: http://biblicalcounselingcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/BlogPic-101218.jpg

BCC Staff Note: Today’s blog is the final article of a three-part series on the BCC Grace and Truth website on the topic of Counseling Together. Earlier this week, Robert Jones shared ten benefits of co-counseling with your spouse, and Howard Eyrich discussed safeguards for non-spousal co-counseling.

Over 15 years ago, while I was Director of Soul Care at College Park Church in Indianapolis, I found that my team and I were unable to keep up with the counseling demands of our church. Also, other churches were sending people our way for help. Out of desperation, I required those coming from other churches to bring a leader or mature Christian with them in an attempt to bring continuity of care and increase equipping opportunities (Eph. 4:11-16). I had no idea just how impactful and effective this requirement would be for the care of the person in need. It revolutionized the whole counseling experience. From the counseling session to the time between sessions, and even once counseling was finished—having a caring friend involved was a great benefit to the person coming for counseling. Within a year, we decided to add this role to the counseling process wherever possible. That decision led us to strongly recommend that people coming for counseling within our church ask a Christian friend to come to the sessions and walk alongside them during their care (Prov. 17:17). In retrospect, this addition was the single most effective change we ever made to our counseling process.

Sessions - Hundreds - Advocates - Experience - Highlight

I have sat in sessions with hundreds of advocates, and most consider the experience a highlight of their faith walk and are thankful they took the opportunity to participate in this important ministry. Advocacy has also eliminated much of the liability related to church-based counseling, and this has resulted in more churches readily embracing biblical...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Biblical Counseling Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!