A Guide for Skeptics Intrigued by Jesus

The Gospel Coalition | 10/12/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://s3.amazonaws.com/tgc-web/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/26105112/doubters-tgc.jpg

“Are you saying you have the authority to tell people like me to stop following Jesus Christ?” I asked the secular university student.

We’d just been talking about the Christian view of sexual ethics, specifically my view that marriage is by definition between a man and a woman. He responded that such a view of marriage is unacceptable, so I pointed out the implication of what he was saying, which was that I would need to stop following Jesus.

Jesus - Marriage - Difference - Male - Female

It was Jesus, after all, who taught that marriage is predicated on the difference between male and female (see Matt. 19:3–6). I’m simply trying to follow his teaching. To abandon my view of marriage would mean to abandon the one from whom I had learned it. I would need to ditch Jesus, and I wanted the student to know this was what he was ultimately demanding. Pressed on this point, he demurred, and the conversation moved on.

Zondervan (2018). 256 pp. $16.99.

Millennia - Devotion - Centuries - Research - Jesus

After two millennia of spiritual devotion and more than two centuries of modern critical research, we still cannot fit Jesus into a box. He is destined to stretch our imaginations, confront our beliefs, and challenge our lifestyles for many years to come.

In A Doubter’s Guide to Jesus readers will be both disturbed and intrigued by the images of Jesus found in the first sources.

University - Student - Atheist - God - Jesus

This university student claimed to be an atheist. He didn’t believe in God. He didn’t believe in Jesus. And yet it seemed he didn’t fully disbelieve Jesus, either. Something made him hesitate to explicitly tell someone to stop being following Jesus. As sure as he was about all sorts of other matters pertaining to religion, this point made him pause and change tack. He wasn’t quite ready to go head to head with Jesus.

It’s no novelty to observe that we...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: