Christopher Robin— ‘Unless You Turn and Become as a Child….’

The Bible and Culture | 10/12/2018 | Staff
cute16 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos%20TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-hot-air-balloons.jpg

The best children’s films are actually films which have a message for both the parents and the children watching them. They are not merely entertainment for all, though that is good as well. Disney’s Christopher Robin starring the splendid Ewan McGregor provides a perfect opportunity to ask such questions as— when is it appropriate for an adult to continue to enjoy children’s games and fantasies? When does childlike become childish? How important is it for an adult to not lose his sense of wonder, and his creative imagination? The storyline in this movie focuses on a grown up Christopher Robin who works in the Winslow Luggage Company in London, who sadly has far too little time for his wife and daughter Madeline, and thinks it is a parent’s duty to ‘prepare his child for life in the real world’. Ah, but when does a child get to be a child? And when should a parent encourage children’s dreams and fantasies? In my case, I continued to read and tell my children newly minted fictional stories, until finally my son said– “Dad, don’t you think I’m little old for such tales”. I was sad about that, but David needed to decide on his own when he wanted to take the next step towards adulthood.

A.A. Milne’s classic books have of course been adopted and adapted for films before including purely animated ones, but this film involves a mixture of real actors and real scenes with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Bible and Culture
Wake Up To Breaking News!