YouTube, 23andMe CEOs advocate for women's education on Day of the Girl

CNET | 10/11/2018 | Abrar Al-Heeti
Fubu_chik (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/NuA__YvMJp9nmb5vH6krf-r3v0I=/724x407/2018/10/12/9e6c41c1-885d-4801-ab95-e1d5e46a3881/1051929306.jpg

YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki speaks at Room To Read's 2018 International Day Of The Girl Benefit in San Francisco.

Silicon Valley leaders Susan and Anne Wojcicki know the power of sisterhood, and they want to see that power extended to helping girls around the world.

Sisters - Thursday - Benefit - San - Francisco

The sisters spoke at a Thursday benefit in San Francisco for nonprofit Room to Read, which helps children in low-income communities by promoting literacy and gender equality in education.

"As her youngest sister, [Susan] has always blessed me with her time," said Anne, who is co-founder and CEO of 23andMe. "She spends her time dedicated to the family, to her five kids and then to organizations like this."

Susan - CEO - YouTube - Board - Member

Susan, who is CEO of YouTube, is a board member of Room to Read. The organization says it's helped more than 16 million children in 30,000 communities worldwide.

Thursday's event, which raised money for young women in Room to Read's Girls' Education Program, was also held on International Day of the Girl. The United Nations established the holiday in 2011 to address the challenges girls face when it comes to education and employment, and to promote their rights.

Day - Girl - Board - Member - Room

"I'm here on Day of the Girl and I'm a board member of Room to Read because I want to be a sister to all those people out there that really need our help," Susan said.

Gender disparity in education remains prevalent in many areas of the world. Nearly 16 million girls ages 6 to 11 won't have the opportunity to go to school, compared to 8 million boys, according to UNESCO. In addition, two thirds of the 750 million adults who are illiterate are women.

Girls - Life - Susan - Labor - System

"We know that when girls are educated, they can live a much better life," Susan said. "They can be healthier, they can participate in the labor system, they can have higher...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!