When being Right is Wrong

internetmonk.com | 10/6/2018 | Mike Bell
tiana_101 (Posted by) Level 3
I like to be right. I like to debate.

Sometimes I forget there are real people on the other side of the discussion, or listening in on the conversation.

Way - University - Days - Acquaintance - Concern

I remember way back in my university days an acquaintance expressed concern about the nuclear arms race. Sensing a chance for some fun, I immediately argued that the best solution to end the nuclear arms race was a first strike attack on the Russians. I didn’t believe that. But I thought it would be fun to argue it. I only realized I had gone too far when his face went beet red and he started twisting his glasses in his lap.

I think I am/was built that way. Taking contrarian points of view and seeing what kind of argument I can build. I wrote a paper around that time arguing that Botswana was a major African power. This couldn’t have been further from the truth as this was in the early eighties, when their second largest city had only two paved streets, and diamonds hadn’t yet been discovered in the country. I got an A.

Course - Advent - Media - Opportunities - People

Of course the advent of social media has only increased the opportunities. I have only been unfriended by a few people on social media (that I am aware of), but in most of the cases it was because my desire for a debate overrode my concern for the other people involved.

The same can be said of my writing on Internet Monk. I know of a number of commentators who have stopped...
(Excerpt) Read more at: internetmonk.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Vote for gridlock, it's our only hope!