The Lost Art Of Contentment

Christian Crier | 10/10/2018 | Staff
moemajor (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/348/2018/09/woman-praying-mountain-300x157.jpg

Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/348/2018/09/Lake-A-300x225.jpg

Are you having difficulty in being content with life? Here’s some biblical help.

When I think about contentment, and the question comes to me, “Is the glass half empty or half full,” typically, my response is, “I’m just glad I have a glass!” Besides, isn’t it both? Whether it’s half empty or half full is not an issue for me because, at least I have a glass! Contentment is a choice, and it’s not something we naturally gravitate to. Contentment is a state of mind, or putting things into perspective. And contentment can keep us out of a lot of trouble. The opposite of being contented is being in a state of discontentment, and no one wants to live under that tent. Solomon wrote that “A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger quiets contention” (Prov 15:18). Slow, calm, and well-thought out responses can quite contention, just as anger can incite it. During John the Baptist’s ministry, “Soldiers also asked him, “And we, what shall we do?” And he said to them, “Do not extort money from anyone by threats or by false accusation, and be content with your wages” (Luke 3:14). Ahh…now we’re starting to get somewhere. Being content with what we have is a start. One example is being content with our wages or finances. The Apostle Paul had good reason to feel discontented, being the most severely persecuted of all the apostles. He wrote, “For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Cor 12:10). Paul was content, even with these hardships, because he knew it was for Christ’s name’s sake that he suffered.

Contentment - Something

Contentment is definitely something that we chose, however, as I wrote earlier, it...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Christian Crier
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: